08 Jul Metaverse at the University of Santiago de Compostela
Next year, the Master’s Degree in Digital Marketing will incorporate a new subject, the Metaverse.
It is necessary to adapt to new trends in digital marketing and this scenario offers endless possibilities for both advertisers and consumers.
As Marketing specialists, we must know this environment where the virtual world is an extension of the real world. But before we begin…
WHAT IS THE METAVERSE?
The metaverse is a virtual world created in the image and likeness of those who interact with it as avatars and in different contexts.
It can be described as a multi-user digital network of perpetual bidirectional communication platforms that allows collaborative creativity.
AREAS OF USE OF THE METAVERSE
The metaverse seeks to break down the barriers between physical and virtual reality. Although there is still a long way to reach a single ecosystem that unifies all platforms, it is beginning to be used in different areas. The most commonly used are listed below:
In the field of entertainment, video games will be the protagonists as real pioneers in entering the metaverse.
– The Sandbox: it is a game that mixes blockchain, DeFi and NFT in a 3D play-to-earn metaverse. Virtual assets created can be monetized as NFT and sold for SAND tokens on The Sandbox marketplace.
– Microsoft Mesh: this is a collaboration and communication platform developed by Microsoft with the goal of unifying holographic virtual collaboration across multiple devices, as VR headsets, AR, laptops or smartphones.
– Axie Infinity: This is a game with the purpose of collecting creatures (similar to Pokémon) to improve and compete with them against other players or against the system in exchange for rewards that can later be converted into real earnings for the player.
– Decentraland: This blockchain and virtual reality platform is based on parcels of land that can be purchased through the MANA cryptocurrency, which is based on the Ethereum Blockchain.1
– Runescape: This is a multiplayer role-playing game set in medieval times. Its theme is about a fantasy world called “Gielinor”, which is divided into several kingdoms, regions and cities.
– World of Warcraft (WoW): This massive multiplayer role-playing video game is based on a fictional world and the story of Warcraft, where you take the role of a virtual character that interacts with other characters and develops situations in a fantasy environment as in a role-playing game, being the top 4 in this universe.
Other well-known online video game metaverses are Fortnite, Minecraft and Roblox.
Related to entertainment, it will also highlight the organization of events in the metaverse as for example the Metaverse Fashion Week starring brands such as Dolce & Gabbana or Tommy Hilfiger.
- REMOTE WORK
The rise of remote work during and after the lockdown accelerated the metaverse linked to teleworking.
Augmented reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR) or Mixed Reality (MR) will help to increase quality to this remote work as it will enhance aspects of our jobs such as online meetings or collaborative tasks, leading us to convert the metaverse in the best way to teleworking.
Related to the “online office” of the previous point, as a field of application of the metaverse, the increase in “online training” provided from a virtual world will also stand out in the future.
This training will be based on interaction between avatars in personalized spaces. During the Master’s Degree in Digital Marketing, the metaverse subject will be carried out within a 100% personalized virtual world and taught from Çağ University through the Second Life platform.
Another industry that will increase their presence in the metaverse is tourism, also called metaturism, which is mostly used to complement tourism experiences. For example, the possibility for two travellers from different countries to travel together to the same place or instead, for travel agencies or hotels to showcase their products.
5. IMPROVEMENT PROCESS IN COMPANIES
Finally, companies can also take advantage of the benefits the metaverse offers. In this case, companies can use it for the improvement of the customer experience by giving the user the possibility to try the product even before buying it.
Another interesting use is the possibility to test products during the design and manufacturing process, although for companies, the possibility of applications is practically unlimited.
Metaverse with Second Life & USC
The module will be delivered in Second Life, online virtual environments, through avatars. Participants from Santiago De Compostela Digital marketing master program will come together with Instructors and Virtual world resident from all over the world in the virtual environment for this module. Students will see how the environment functions and evaluate the way in which a virtual content is created. Students will carry out a project in metaverse intercultural environment while dealing with many barriers such as cultural difference, language barriers, time difference, technological problems etc. This course will also give the opportunity for interaction, collaboration and networking between participants and lecturers from different disciplines, institutions and cultures.
Below there are some video links from the modules that we delivered and some pictures from our last course on spring 2022: